Monday, August 11, 2008

Vegeterrorists

I helped raise a duck from a day old to a little over two months old. I have fed it, gave it water every day, and I watched it play in a big tub full of water with vigor. This week I'm going to eat it.

Many people won't have such a dose of reality presented before them. Even though a lot of people won't have to deal with this issue, I think it is very important to have to face it. I am against the message that the political vegetarians present. Don't like the taste of meat? That's fine. Cruelty to animals sucks too. But refusing to eat flesh because of a soft heart is ridiculous to me.

I can't say that I don't have a little soft spot in my heart for the duck, but to protest that it not serve as my nourishment would be hypocritical of me. Nature's truth is the reason I am so against the vegetarian's political reasons behind not eating meat. Animals eat meat to survive and so do we. Although there are herbivores, their stomachs are made to handle a solely vegetarian diet. There is a reason why our stomachs are made to handle flora and fauna. It is because we are supposed to eat both.

The wrong in all of this is not eating meat, the wrong is in wasting it. Gluttonous eating and wastefulness is shameful. If vegetarians want to protest they should protest the corpulent folks who stay in a buffet restaurant for two hours. By not eating meat I would go as far to say that vegetarians are insulting the needy who would love to have a little bit of chicken on their plate. Do we live in such a coddled society that people actually refuse food on principle? Those who are starving would be disgusted and call it ungrateful.

Perhaps my less than favorable view of the vegetarian way is rooted in my pet peeve of picky eaters. I don't speak of hatred toward the vegetarians, I just don't understand, nor do I accept their choice to not eat meat.
blog comments powered by Disqus