Monday, September 8, 2008

New Sensations.

I recently took part in a flavor tripping party with some friends and it was very interesting. There's this fruit called the miracle fruit that a couple companies make into a concentrated tablet and sell on the internet. The point of this tablet is to change the way your tongue perceives tastes. It doesn't change the flavor of every palette, mainly sour flavors and some bitter flavors, but the affect on the bitter is slight from my experience. That may just be me as everyone has slightly different tastes.

I tried several different things during this experience: grape fruit, lemons, limes, vinegar, hot sauce, red bull, plain yogurt, Warhead Super Sour Spray, green olives, pickle juice, cream cheese, unsweetened tea, red and green tomatoes.

The first thing I grabbed was a slice of lemon, my eyes lit up! It tasted like candy, but at the end of the first nip I could feel a little bit of the acid sourness on the edges of my tongue. Red Bull was my favorite, generally Red Bull has quite the tang to it but with the miracle fruit it was almost as sweet as cream soda.

The dumbest thing I did during the party was to take a full tablespoon of vinegar. It did taste pretty good, but it kind of choked me up. Even though miracle fruit will change the flavor it doesn't change the harshness of any of the food. Because of that there is the danger that you could damage your tongue from having so many acidic foods, nothing that won't heal though.

Cream cheese, plain yogurt, hot sauce and green olives weren't the most pleasant however. Cream cheese mainly tasted bland, plain yogurt did get a little sweeter, but still just didn't taste too good. I like my yogurt with fruit. The miracle fruit just takes some of the edge off of the green olive, same goes for the hot sauce which also sort of choked me up.

If anyone has eaten macaroni and tomatoes with sugar that's essentially what I got from eating a tomato while tripping, the green tomato didn't taste as good as the red one but it still tasted pretty good as far as I was concerned.

A couple things I missed out on trying were cough syrup and sharp cheddar. Perhaps there will be a next time though.

The NY Times Article
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I know the question that is on everybody's mind is what would it be like to drink cold water while taking a warm shower?

I tried it recently. Although the results weren't as interesting as I expected it was still something new. Invigorating is not quite the word for drinking cold water while in the shower, but it is the word for letting the same cold water dribble down the chest while taking a shower. *shivers*

Of course if you decide you want to try to do the same, I would recommend a bottle. A glass of water would be hard to keep cold, especially if you let the shower water get in the drinking water. That scenario brings me to think of some pretty funny imagery though.
blog comments powered by Disqus