Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sucky Polls.

I have never had a comfortable experience when I have voted. The first votes I cast were in a windowless one room building behind a windowless door. I generally like to know what's inside a building before I go into it. Sure, there were smiling ladies sitting behind a table, but the building could have been filled with bees for all I knew.

Luckily the building was bee free. When I walk up to such a foreboding building, I feel like I should be ready to defend myself against whatever is behind the door. The least they could have done was leave the door open so that people walking up to the place knew what to expect when they walked in.

Perhaps the buildings chosen to hold the polls are the only ones available but they sure pick the worst possible ones to make voters feel welcome to vote. Since I moved I had to change my address so that I could vote more locally. So I had a new location where I had to go to cast my vote. This time it was a school that was fenced in with rusty fence and once again the place designated to be the polls was windowless.

This time however on the windowless door a poster had been posted with duct tape scrawled around the entire border that said at the very top "PROHIBITED AREA AND ACTIVITIES" which can be read from the parking lot. Then in smaller font it stated the laws of the polling area which can be read when about 5 feet from the door.

Upon asking someone where I was supposed to go they said "behind that door up there", the same door that seemed to prohibit anyone to enter. Once I entered the forbidden door, I was received once again by smiling ladies, in a very poorly lit gym. If we are to encourage people to vote, there should be a much better atmosphere at the places where we are to cast our votes. What I experienced was ridiculous.
blog comments powered by Disqus