Monday, December 17, 2007

My Taste in Music.

My music tastes vary widely but there are really two that I focus on. Rock and Alternative both Mainstream and Indie. Bare in mind that I do boycott the RIAA so when I buy music I make sure none of my money goes to them, either buying used or directly from the artists.

Here is the moral dilemma I deal with. I've listened to several types of rock music. Some I just stay away from altogether. I don't agree in the least with most of rock music's messages. I don't do drugs, sex isn't a main focal point of my life, and well, I do like to rock.

Blasphemy is something I stay away from as much as possible. It bothers me. Now, I'm not the most holy of people. I don't like the fact that I have to say that statement and I do work toward being a morally just person. The problem with all of this is that I love the sound of rock music. I love the energy.

I don't even mind if I can't hear the lyrics from all the screaming and growling going on. To me screaming in itself can be a talent. Could you go out on stage and do that every night? I wouldn't want to as I would bet that it would eventually mess up your vocal chords as evidenced by the lead singer of Avenged Sevenfold.

On the opposite side of this, there's Country Music. A vial grotesque super mainstream type of music. The kind where the music writers are the real ones making money. Did you know Garth Brooks doesn't write his own music? I challenge you to find someone who does write their own music in country music. To say that someone doesn't would probably be inaccurate but it would be interesting to find out who does. I don't like most country. I enjoy Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. Some of the older stuff is good at times, because it seems more honest and less tailored to line the big wigs pockets with platinum.

But there's one positive to country. The stories. Those who actually do the writing of these songs do a good job of it. Interesting, dramatic and often touching stories. After all, it is country. The emo for hillbillies. I can relate to some country as well. I am a man of the mountains. But far from a Redneck. I would consider that word to be a racial epithet against me.

I have found a couple of bands that kind of touch on both sides of this hunger for stories and rock music. Death Cab for Cutie and The Weakerthans. Very good bands, but I suppose I crave more. So, who do I turn to? What bands do you suggest? I like rock, alt folk, alt pop, not a huge fan of rap though. Similar bands are The Postal Service, Cloud Cult, and Bishop Allen.
blog comments powered by Disqus