Monday, July 14, 2008

All-Natural Chemicals

According to Merriam-Webster Online the term Natural is accounted for in several different ways. One of the ways that it defines it is "occurring in conformity with the ordinary course of nature." Now often when eating, I will come across the words "all-natural" on the label. To me this label has been diluted by some of the most far fetched claims of a product being all-natural that to me it has lost all meaning.

To me, "all-natural" should mean that lemonade is literally squeezed lemons, water, and cane sugar. Artificial sweetener would render such summer beverage unnatural. Preservatives render it unnatural. Of course you can make anything sound unnatural. I watched a clip from Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" where they started a petition at a liberal rally to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide from use. Also more commonly known as Water.

Since we're on the subject, I also want to share the "What's Inside" section on Wired.com and probably in the magazine as well where they explain what the ingredients in a certain product of their choosing are. Check it out some time.

What sparked this thought in my mind was that I saw the label "all-natural" on a bottle of Sobe recently. Sobe takes pride in the use of herbal stimulants, and supplements in their products. On their website it states "The world's best tasting naturally flavored beverages." I didn't know there was a nature flavor. Does it taste like dirt? But the drink I had today had some questionable ingredients in it that don't necessarily scream "all-natural" to me. Sobe Yumberry Pomegranate Elixir is the drink I had and, well, can anyone explain to me how CALCIUM LACTATE and CHROMIUM PICOLINATE are "all-natural" ingredients?

I can't really end this one with a conclusion because I don't feel informed enough to leave a hard line "this is how it is" message. There are usually two sides to a story because parts of each are true and it is a person's perception that distorts the reality. So with that being said I guess I have to end with a question instead. What exactly is required to meet the "all-natural" guidelines? I'm sure it's not as strict as it is to get the "organic" label.

Fence sitting for the win!
blog comments powered by Disqus