Friday, July 18, 2008

Musical Ignorance.

In case you are as musical ignorant as I am because you don't like musicals then I should warn you that Mama Mia is a musical. True, it was on broadway for a while, but I only found that out after they started running the trailers. I don't live in New York. I have seen much advertising about Mama Mia and none of it that I've seen blatantly clues the public in to the fact that it is a musical. I did see Pierce Brosnan on The Daily Show and then I finally saw the characters singing in the blatant fashion I desire to see.

I want to see that it is a musical so that I can steer clear of it. It didn't really look that good as a regular movie either, but it seems that I'm not the only one that is musical ignorant. It seems the studios that produce these movies are as well because they ignore the fact that Mama Mia is a musical in their promotions of it. I was getting ready to watch Hellboy 2, and for whatever reason, the promoters thought Hellboy 2 would be a good place to promote MAMA MIA.

During the spot, never once was it blatant in the fact that it was a musical. This is a theater trailer! These are the trailers where studios pull out all the stops and show the movie in it's full light. Or should I say in it's best light? The studios seem to have come to the conclusion that it's bad PR to show that a movie is a musical. To me, it's a form of false advertising. I would be pissed if I were to step into a movie only to find that it was a musical. I would walk out and demand my money back. I predict that since it is now showing in theaters, they'll run trailers that are more blatant. I mean they even showed the Monster in post release trailers of Cloverfield.

Hellboy 2 was pretty good by the way.
blog comments powered by Disqus