Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I Hate Musicals

I consider myself to be somewhat cultured for a person from the sticks of Virginia. But I just don't get musicals. Every Disney Movie, Annie, Wizard of Oz, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Grease, Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray. How do people enjoy these movies?

I've always liked Disney and I grew up watching the Disney movies, but as I watched the movies I always hoped that they wouldn't break out into song every five minutes and spent most of the time longing for those breaks between the songs. Bear Necessities, Hakuna Matata, the intro to Disney's Robin Hood and Somewhere Over the Rainbow were all good songs. But why? Why am I forced to sit through a movie that conveys the character's feelings through song?

The songs are usually horrible. Rocky Horror Picture Show is a sorry excuse for Rock music. Most of the songs that I've heard in musicals just flow really badly. It's not good music. And I think that is because it's so geared toward telling a story, so there's a lot to fit into the songs and therefore it completely breaks up what makes a good song.

Perhaps this note will fall short since I've decided not to go out of my way to write a big conclusion. But it all boils down to this: Musicals suck, and don't try to convince me otherwise. Oh.. and Buffy the Vampire Slayer sucks too.
blog comments powered by Disqus