Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Yogurt.

I'm both jealous and annoyed at companies who claim that their products are more special than others. I'm jealous because I would like to use all kinds of euphemisms and yank at the public's strings like the puppet master I would be if I ran a company and I would laugh all the way to the bank. I speak of Dannon in this case.

Now, I have done a little reading and I'm not quite comfortable with making bold statements on this one. If someone wants to check what I say and tell me the truth I would like to know. But here's my qualm.

I suspect that Dannon's Activia brand yogurt is no different than any other yogurt, and that it's all in their presentation that makes it so convincing to try their 2 week plan to get your pooper back in order. Here's my reasoning. All yogurt has healthy bacterial cultures in it that produce lactic acid which in turn gives yogurt its distinct flavor.

Now, I won't get too deep into the details and technical terms, but there are over 400 known species of bacteria in a human's digestive tract. So here's where I doubt my hypothesis: Dannon supposedly patented a strain of bacteria called Bifidobacterium Animalis and uses it in Activia. So, yes it is possible that this bacteria affects the digestive tract in a different manner than any yogurts, but I have my doubts that it really matters because other brands of yogurt are quite healthy for your digestive tract and is beneficial to eat regularly.

All the while, Dannon has jacked the price up on their patented bacteria flavored yogurts and are pulling our strings. Have you tried Activia yet?

This is what stands in the way of my hypothesis:
http://juliewashere.blogspot.com/

Thank you for actually making it to the bottom of this if you have. I know it's long.
blog comments powered by Disqus