Tuesday, October 9, 2007

UT Football

I don't watch football. But there's no way to ignore all the orange and white around here. It's painful to look at. Orange and white is one of the most obnoxious color combinations and yet people wear them as if it looks good.

Now I know it is kind of fun to get into a game every now and then because of the wow factor and the Edge-of-you-Seat appeal. But I have to sit in restaurants, doctor's offices, veterinarian's offices, and bathrooms, and try to stomach the awful colors. I just want to eat, or get rid of that annoying cough, or have my pet looked at, or do my business (well, perhaps the colors actually help in that process).

A dentist has a sign up in Surgoinsville on the front of his building that is a rendition of the UT football field as the background, and then over that is the lettering of the name of his clinic. That just goes to show you how ridiculous UT colors are in this area is. IT IS NOT GOOD DESIGN.

Sports fans are kind of scary too, this man was literally castrated for walking into a bar wearing the wrong team on his chest:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20728210/

I was sitting in my dorm one night when I was going to ETSU and I remember hearing the Entire Campus yell in unison because UT made a good play. It was kind of neat and very interesting to be there when it happened but at the same time it was a little discomforting. What if UT had lost?

I've been trying to sum up in my mind what sports are actually good for. Sure, there's a lot of money involved in pro sports, but let's leave that aside for a moment. For instance, the Super Bowl. After a team has won what do they get? A ring, bragging rights, and a trophy. Sports are peculiar because they have a way of both uniting people and dividing people at the same time. A word of caution to those who follow sports though, just try not to get violent over something that isn't even going to matter a few minutes later. So what if your college team loses, they'll still get paid more than you when they go pro.

On a side note; I feel like I'm not fully conveying how bad the orange and white really is around here, So I'm going to start a sort of photo library akin to mullet hunting. Keep an eye out for it.
blog comments powered by Disqus