Tuesday, October 30, 2007

So I was up late last night and Nocturnal State was on VH1. I was watching this band because watching it made me really uncomfortable. Sometimes I like to feel uncomfortable and cringe at what I'm viewing and that feeling is kind of a phenomenon to me. So this video was definitely fulfilling that:

http://www.chairpage.com/media_files/YoungModern/video/straightlines/straightlines_bb.htm

First off, I don't like the song. I can't place why, but I guess that the album name "Young Modern" kind of sums that up. It's not rock exactly and it's Way too mainstream pop for my tastes. What bothered me most about it is that the camera in the video just gets incredibly too close for my comfort and he's wearing a vest with no shirt on. The guy reminds me of Freddie Mercury of Queen, and I wouldn't doubt that that is the intention.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9968/freddiemercury0ve.jpg


















http://keepqueenalive.com.sapo.pt/freddie%20mercury%20friends.jpg


















This fellow seemed vaguely familiar to me somehow, and I'll usually sit through something that I don't like just so I can see the name of the band at the end of the video and from then on steer clear of that band. But doing so was kind of a slap in the face for me this time. I never would have dreamed that this is the same band who put this song out in the U.S. in 1995:

http://www.chairpage.com/media_files/Frogstomp/video/tomorrow/tomorrowUS_bb.htm

Yes.. the same band that I saw on VH1 last night is the same band that released the song "Tomorrow"; Silverchair. "Tomorrow" is one of my favorite songs, the guy's voice in that song is truly powerful and it Rocked! I kind of wish it was on Guitar Hero III, that would've been awesome! "Tomorrow" was a sort of continuation to Nirvana and Alice in Chains and it really fit for the time.

But now they came back and put out this tripe? I realize that bands have to mature and do what they feel is right and that is alright. But expect to lose a lot of fans if you change too much. That means you too No Doubt. I guess Silverchair lost me after "Frog Stomp" because I missed out on "Freak Show", and the singles from "Neon Ballroom" weren't any good either as far as I'm concerned.

Oh Well.
blog comments powered by Disqus