Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Patapon Pace.

I recently got a PSP. I used it during GDC to show people my demo reel. I only used it three times, but one of the companies I showed it to was Valve, and that was a great experience. But, since I bought it, of course I had to go out and buy a ridiculous amount of games. One of the ones I bought recently was Patapon.

Just to inform those of you who haven't played it, there are a few things you should know. Patapon is a rhythm game, but nothing like DDR or Guitar Hero which have the scrolling indicators that let you know when to hit a button once the indicator reaches a designated point on the screen. In Patapon, you are essentially the god of a tribe. This tribe will react to the music depending on the combination of beats you use. There are three main types of commands, Guard, Attack and Advance.

The driving force that helps you keep the rhythm is the constant 1-2-3-4 of the tambourine. If you do well and hit exactly on beat with the tambourine you can tell by the sound of the drumbeat, if you're a little off, so is the sound of the drum. But if you do well enough you can send your tribesmen into a fever where they start jumping up and down and flinging enough arrows and spears to fill the sky. While playing you help the tribesmen hunt for food, defeat all kinds of large creatures, and fight other tribes. It's a good game!

Today, I decided to try taking a walk while playing Patapon, taking a step to each beat and it turned out to be a good walk! The persistent beat of the tambourine beckoned me to take each step at a faster pace than what I normally go. I actually worked up a sweat while walking today because of Patapon. It was very difficult to keep the rhythm with my thumbs without keeping rhythm with my feet, so there was a sort of synergy between my body and the game because of it.

Despite the fact that it was an enjoyable experience, there was a downside to playing the game. For one, I was horrible at the game while walking. I only came away with a handful of meals for my tribesmen after playing about 6 times (about a game per lap around my property). I lost the movement of my arms since I had to hold the PSP. Finally, it wasn't easy to see the screen because of the sunlight. But, I may do it again so that I can see if I can both keep walking with the beat and get my tribesmen into a fervor, because that would feel more like true synergy.
blog comments powered by Disqus